Sunday, February 17, 2013

Graffiti nails - DIY version!

Inspired by China Glaze Glitz Bitz 'n Pieces, which is not yet available here in New Zealand, I tried to build my own graffiti glitter!

I used OPI Teal the Cows Come Home as my base colour. I wasn't sure if I'd love this look, so my glitter pieces are in similar teal blue shades. I used glitter rods, small squares, large hexagons and some paler stars. I used OPI Got Your Number Liquid Sand on my little finger as an accent.

No surprise, I found all that glitter really hard to wear! Even with two thick coats of top coat, it was super lumpy and caught on everything.

Photo 1: glitter and top coat, with flash.

But I liked the look. What to do? Easy! I applied a thick coat of clear UV gel over the nails. When that was set (after applying UV top coat also) I was free to file and buff the lumps away! It kind of enhanced the 3d glitter effect, and the iridescent large hexagons really popped!

Photo 2: glitter and gel nail, with flash, pre-filing.

















Photo 3: gel all filed, buffed and smooth.
Artificial light - not true to colour, but shows the glitter better!





Verdict? Love it!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! All comments are moderated, and will be published within 24 hours.